Friday, September 26, 2008

Amazing Daze

Day 11

They're filming a game show across the valley, I'm serious.
9 a.m. brings cannon fire and cheers.
A charismatic voice fills the air via loudspeaker.
A child's voice follows. I can tell by the voice that this child is VERY key-u-tah. (This is how my students say cute...one of the various English words adopted by Hangul.)
Once again, a man's voice fills the air. He exclaims!!! Video game music with heavy bass pushes the little molecules of everything into adrenaline-inspired motion. The contestants, there must be contestants, are spurred into action by the blow of a whistle into the mic.
Cheers and repeat above minus cannon fire plus excitement...if it's possible to get any more excited than they already sound.

This kick-start to the morning is followed by several hours of small errands, some baking, followed by many hours of turnover cleaning. I spoke to no one but myself, save one moment.
Let me paint the picture for you:
I'm standing on the wrong side of the railing to my street-facing porch; one hand clinging to the rail, the other hand clutching a drippy, soapy rag. I'm wearing khaki capris left by Angela, a band T-shirt, and MAGENTA lipstick. Yes, I'm wearing lipstick. Why? Because I found it. I forgot about it being in the bottom of one of my bags, and I found it. And I put it on.
So, anyway, I'm washing the sliding glass doors in slightly too small, left behind clothes, but I'm cleaning my apartment so, who cares, right? Suddenly I hear a soft giggle, and a "HIIEEEE, Hello!"
I turn around with my bright magenta lipstick and wave "An-yeseyo"
I remember: I'm not IN my house cleaning, I'm hanging off the outside. And I'm the weird foreigner.

Day 12

An amazing day.

A friend.

Guemo-san.

I've made a friend here, which is so crucial. It's good to be able to talk with someone openly. Social philosophy, recent Korean history, traditional medicinals, language; we covered it all and more throughout the day. She invited me to hike Guemosan with her and another friend of hers who, unfortunately, had to cancel.

8:30 a.m. She picked me up.

9:26 a.m. We started hiking.

11:27 a.m. We reach the top with shaking legs,
sit down for an apple and are joined by giant bees.

On Guemosan is a double-walled fortress. I will go back with a camera and take photos sometime. Also, I will stop at the temples. My legs were protesting on the way down. I'll know better next time. Go on the way up.

In the late afternoon, after lunch and coffee, I saw the library. This was a BIG DEAL!!! Actually something I've really been wanting to do, which would have been put off much longer were I totally on my own, simply for the reason of not being able to read street signs or follow directions. Lame, I know, but true.

Day 13

Just Another Manic Monday

Day 14

To the Fitness Room!
In the morning, I hit the very tiny gym-like room with a co-worker. She takes mis-steps multiple times on the stair-stepper, while I fumble with seat-height on the stationary bike and try to figure out why it won't turn on. We work our way around the room relatively smoothly, but we're both very glad that it's only us and a couple of senior citizens here to exercise.

Next, it's to the Photo Place for me!
I need more I.D. photos for the hospital and my foreigner I.D.
I end up calling my gym-partner to have her explain to the photo man what I need. He takes my photo, and for a fee of W1000 (~$1), prints the photos in 15 minutes opposed to overnight. When I go to pay him, he glimpses a photo of The Celebs in my wallet. He's into it. I think it's the diamond background in addition to their diamond smiles.

Okay! Off to the hospital! I get a foreigner check-up for my foreigner I.D. some eyesight, hearing, blood, and urine testing! an X-Ray of my chest, yes I have lungs and there's a heart there too, oh! Don't forget, go see the dentist.

An hour and a half later, I'm back at school and only 5 minutes late for classes.

Day 15

ohmygodicantmovemylegs. they're still so sore from hiking Guemosan. I can barely stand first thing in the morning. Sun salutes do some good, then I putter around the apartment until I leave for school. The schedule changes constantly and I'm still attempting to remember students' names. I'll get used to it.

Cindy makes Dukbuki at school. I try to remember how so I can make it at home. I made pumpkin curry stew today. Cooking for one is really different. The other teachers all share with me, and I want to bring something to share with them...but...what if they don't like it? what if I don't like it? I can't bring it if I don't even like it...maybe I'll bake cookies or something. I did that on Saturday, tested out baking cookies in the toaster oven. it's awful, baking in that thing. The degree markers are worn away, so I can only guess at the temperature, but I think I'm pretty close.

I'm a little lonely.
During the dinner break at work, I just listen to the talk around me. I don't understand any of it. I think of potential social situations where the same thing might occur. I simultaneously dread and look forward to them...I'd like to learn Hangul, and there's not many better ways than immersion, but it is also rather alienating. I've been doing flashcards and a "Your first 100 Korean Words" book, so sometimes a word or two will sound relatively familiar. I'll start the lessons soon. I'll get it eventually.
Until then I'll continue pantomiming, pointing, or calling a friend to talk to someone. The language barrier makes every day an automatic adventure. I love adventures.

No comments: